Skip to main content

Adjustment of Status (AOS)

Information about Adjustment of Status (AOS)

Adjustment of Status (AOS) is a procedure that allows an eligible applicant to become a lawful permanent resident (apply for a Green Card) of the United States without having to go abroad and apply for an immigration visa. A green card, also known as a permanent alien registration card, gives an individual certain immigration benefits including the ability to live and work in the U.S. U.S. immigration laws provide a variety of ways for people to apply for a Green Card. The eligibility requirements for adjustment of status may vary depending on the immigrant category you are applying under.

Requirements and common problems for Adjustment of Status (AOS)

There are two groups of people that can adjust their status inside the U.S.

  • Individual that entered the country with a visa, or parole, and they are married to U.S. citizen. Or if they are children under 21 or parents of U.S. citizens.
  • Individual whom had a petition filed before April 30 of 2011. They can pay a fine of $1,000 to get the Green Card.

Two common problems that can affect the individual case

  • Misrepresentation, that is when you lie to immigration.
  • When a person is guilty of certain crimes.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) lawyer serving all 50 states

If the individual has committed misrepresentation or is guilty of a crime, there is a special waiver. An immigration attorney will expertly guide you through the long list of requirements, applications, and other procedures to minimize the difficulties associated with the Adjustment of Status (AOS) process. At Ardila Law Firm in Brandon FL., we will assist throughout the entire Adjustment of Status (AOS) process to ensure that the application are completed correctly and on time. Our firm takes a great pride in our ability to provide honest representation and excellent service to our clients. Visit or call our firm office today.