The U non-immigrant status (U visa) is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.
The U-Visa is a non-immigrant visa available to individuals who are in the U.S. as undocumented aliens but meet the following requirements;
- Has suffered severe physical or mental abuse because of being a victim of criminal activity.
- Has been, is being, or is likely to be of help to a Federal, state, or local judge, prosecutor, law enforcement officer, or other justice system official involved in prosecuting the criminal activity that he or she has been, is being, or is likely to be of help to a Federal, state, or local investigation of criminal activity causing the abuse.
- Rape, Torture, Trafficking, Incest, Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Abusive Sexual ContactProstitutionSexual Exportation, Female Genital Mutilation, Being Held Hostage, Peonage.
- Involuntary Servitude, Slave TradeKidnapping, Abduction, Unlawful Criminal Restraint, False Imprisonment, Blackmail, Extortion, Manslaughter, MurderFelonies, Assault, Witness Tempering.
- Obstruction of Justice, Perjury or attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit any of the crimes mentioned.
- The maximum length of the U-Visa is 4 years unless extended.
- May apply for any other immigration benefit or status for which he or she is eligible.
- May apply for lawful permanent resident status with 3 years of continuous residence.
U-Visa lawyer serving in Tampa, Lakeland and Brandon.
The immigration attorney in our law firm can greatly increase your chance of receiving a favorable outcome. To learn more about U-Visa, get in touch with an immigration lawyer for expert assistance. In Ardila Law Firm will expertly guide you through the long list of requirements, applications, and other procedures to minimize the difficulties associated with the U-Visa process. At Ardila Law Firm in Brandon FL., we will assist throughout the entire U-Visa process to ensure that the application is completed correctly and on time. Our firm takes a great pride in our ability to provide honest representation and excellent service to our clients. Visit or call our firm office today.